[Deleted User] Mon 7/5/21 11:58 AM

Dear Fleaflicker,

Shohei Ohtani is the first player since Babe Ruth to be doing what he is doing, and not even Babe Ruth did it as well as Ohtani is doing it. He is a multi-generational talent that has hit 31 HRs while pitching with an ERA under 4.00. He is a double all-star. He also appears to be the nicest dude in baseball. Who am I kidding though, you know all of this already. You’re wondering “why is this important?”

It’s important because it’s there exists an issue in all of fantasy baseball: Ohtani’s points not counting both ways in the same week, regardless of which slot you plug him into.

I know you heard the questions and arguments and pleas to have his points go both ways when he was first coming into the league a couple of years ago. I know he got hurt, had surgery, could only hit and all of those pleas and arguments fell to the wayside because it just wasn’t relevant and didn’t matter if he was not doing both. I’m also certain that when the year began, most people were likely to think that he would not fare well as both a pitcher and hitter in the same season. Maybe that’s why I was able to draft him in our dynasty keeper league with pick #24, ending the second round of our draft?

Fact of the matter is: I’m glad to have Shohei on my roster. I’m not ungrateful for that. I also don’t think I’m asking for much and sure that I speak for mostly all owners of Ohtani at this point. It is a farce to not have the ability to rack up both hitting and pitching points in the same weekly (locked) lineup. It’s archaic thinking considering what he is doing. He’s scored 500 points in fantasy before the all-star break. As someone who regularly has him plugged into my flex spot, I’ve earned a good majority of those points due to his phenomenal hitting this season. However, I’ve had to make adjustments to my roster on a couple of occasions and used him as a pitcher. Some would actually say the ability to do this is value enough in owning Ohtani. I say nowhere near enough value. I almost lost this week due to having Ohtani in a pitching slot, while 52 hitting points went to baseball’s “upside down” and did not count for me. This is the problem. No owner should have to debate what slot to start Ohtani in and worry about what points that owner are not going to earn that week.

In summary, please, for the love of all that is good, please correctly give Ohtani the ability to earn points both ways regardless of slot. I implore you.

Very respectfully,

The owner of a small market fantasy baseball team, Breaking Ball.

Good day.