Hellacious_Craw Fri 8/21/15 10:49 PM

Do these stack on each other? Meaning, when a sack occurs, does it also count as a tfl, and a tackle?

FleaflickerT Admin Mon 9/11/17 6:32 PM

Hello!

Sharing an update around the question of whether or not a sack is considered a tackle for a loss:

We get our stats directly from the NFL, and based upon what we are see in their stats, the answer is no.

Here's some additional context: "To be considered a sack the quarterback must intend to throw a forward pass. If the play is designed for the quarterback to rush (run) the ball, any loss is subtracted from the quarterback's rushing total (and the play is ruled a Tackle-for-loss as opposed to a sack)." (wikipedia.org)

Please contact us at info@fleaflicker.com if you have any questions around this!

Chiefdustin Thu 9/21/17 1:00 PM

I'm so confused

FleaMod Admin Sat 8/22/15 11:36 AM

Yes, in mostly all cases they do.

A sack is a TFL unless the QB is sacked at the line of scrimmage where he gains 0 yards or there is a forced fumble on the play. So a sack is considered a tackle, a TFL in all cases but the above two scenarios.

JimmyBresee Thu 10/1/15 1:13 PM

Hi FleaMod,

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I'm trying to push my league to move to FF next season, and I'm starting to experiment with scoring changes that we are interested in implementing. One of the potential changes is giving credit for Tackles for Loss-- it seems odd to us that a 6 yard tackle for loss is worth nothing, but if the QB has the ball, it's worth a point (or two!).

Is there any way to make these events NOT stack? In other words, can a Sack override a TFL? My only solution is to set TFL to .5 points and Sack to .5 points, but that makes sack-fumbles worth LESS than if Sacks were one point and introduces an odd edge case for the zero yard gain.

Thanks!

cpuffett Thu 12/7/23 9:04 AM

I want to bring this up because there were two instances this week (that I noticed) where these weren't been accurately counted.

1) The Titans had three sacks and no TFLs against the Colts this week so I checked the play-by-play and watched the three plays in question. One was for no gain and one involved fumble, so no issues on those two, but the third did involve Gardner Minshew being tackled 9 yards behind the LOS.

2) The Steelers had two sacks and no TFLs against the Cardinals this week, so I also checked that play-by-play and watched the two plays in question. Both resulted in tackles of Kyler Murray behind the LOS with Murray maintaining possession of the football.

I know FleaFlicker receives their stats from an outside provider, but I'm wondering if there's any way we can get clarification on this, because it seems like in most cases, sacks like this count as TFLs but I found two instances this week where they did not. In our league, we count a sack as .5 and a TFL as .5 so that a sack, in reality, remains worth 1 point as is standard (unless there's a fumble or a tackle for 0 yards, which we're fine with). But it would be nice to have some consistency, especially given that both of these defenses were involved in a game that was decided by 0.11 points (and would have gone the other way if all three of these sacks had been recorded as TFLs as they apparently should have been.